embed/install font

Mark Talluto userev at canelasoftware.com
Mon Jul 18 13:30:16 EDT 2005

On Jul 18, 2005, at 10:11 AM, Brad Borch wrote:

> Mark,
>

>>  I put the installer created by IC into a custom property in my
>> rev app.  My rev app spits out the installer
>>

> Thanks for the pointer. I've done a fair bit of work in Director,
> Flash, etc. A long time ago I did Hypercard work. I'm sure with a
> little bit of guidance I'll get "custom properties," but if you
> could just point me to a brief explanation of how this works and
> how to "suck up" and "spit out" (as I've heard the process referred
> to in some posts) something like another file or executable, I'd
> appreciate it.

Brad,

There is a file called CS Fonts Installer on RevNet.  You can find
RevNet in the plugins for Revolution.  It will get you started.  The
thing to remember is:

1.  Mac fonts can be written to the fonts folder of the OS without
using a third party installer.  Thus, they are super easy to work with.
2.  Win fonts need to be installed by a third party installer like
the one I use from www.clickteam.com
The reason is that the installer will setup the registry
appropriately for you.  This can also be done from within Rev, but I
have not spent the time to work it out.  Thus, I "suck up" the
installer created by the clickteam product and place that into a
custom property.  I then write that custom property back out to the
user's hard drive, run the installer, and delete the installer when
done all from Rev.  Works very well.  The file I have on RevNet is a
bit old, but easier to read than the version I am currently using.
If you want the newer version, just let me know.  It deals with all
sorts of things besides fonts, but is not as use friendly at first.

Keep writing back if you have any questions.

Mark Talluto
--
CANELA Software
http://www.canelasoftware.com