on the topic of eMails (was Re: 1st time Revolution user question)

Alcy alcy.runrev1 at 7power7.com
Sat Jul 16 05:49:17 EDT 2005

Wow.. I find this mailing list very helpful thank you all.
*** (thanks Jacqueline for directing me to it) ***
Some of you have requested me to precise my needs:
I am using Windows XP and am building a database management system and I
would like it to be able to communicate by email, send and receive data
for fast, convenient updates and reports from/to a group of people. So I
need it to be able to send and receive text and html files with
eventually some images in attachment.
And I need it to be independent from any email program as I want it to
be self sufficient and easily portable.

OK if I understand well, here is the summary of my options for sending
and receiving emails:
1) To Send emails:
 >>>(1) Shao Sean libEmail and libSMTP libraries. Shao Sean created
this two gems that can to lots of cool things. The libEmail will
generate an email enclosure (will not send, but generate the chunk  that
is the email) with MIME, Attachments and whatever you want.  libSMTP
will take care of sending the email. It works fine! and can be found at
http://dark.unitz.ca/~shaosean/pages/development.htm
*** (Thanks Andre and Alex) ***

 >>> Another alternative that ought to work very well would be to post
your email message to a PHP document on a web server and use the PHP
mail command to do the actual sending. The drawback, of course, is  that
you'd have to write a little php and have access to a web server  that
could host the script, not to mention an smtp server that would  accept
the message for sending. However, it's very simple to write,  and Rev
talks nicely with web-based resources like this.
*** (Thanks Devin) ***

2) To receive emails:
 >>> Alex did that (on RevOnline under his username alextweedly).
Sarah's library was very helpful - can be found from URL Andre gave
(http://www.troz.net/Rev/index.html)
Sarah's library is purely a POP3 library - it doesn't cover MIME decoding
*** (Thanks Andre and Alex) ***

So I understand that there will be no problem for sending emails with
images attached and receiving text or html files without attachment but
I will need extra coding for receiving emails with attachments.
Is that right?

Alcy