Revolution friendly virtual desktop managers. WinXP

Bob Hartley rev at armbase.com
Fri Jul 15 14:26:20 EDT 2005

You wrote:

> Bob:

Hi Jon

> If these desktop managers work for everything BUT Rev, does that say
> something?

Well not exactly, they also dont always work with GIMP. However The one I am
using seems to be OK-ish now. There must have been a conflict with another
app. Mind you still not as good as the RISC OS implementation.

>I'm always annoyed when I <alt><tab> away from Rev and then try
> to <alt><tab> back, only to discover that 1) most of the Rev windows
> remain hidden, and 2) the Rev window that does appear is rarely the one I
> was using most recently. I then have to manually start hiding windows
> until I can work in Rev again.

I do have slight annoyances, not with this particular scenario but others,
however, this is only because I have multiple instances of rev running. Just
my preference, and indeed there are benefits to not do this, stack swapping
being one particular example.

> To be honest, I would be hard pressed to
> write such a mis-behaving program in Windows if I were trying to.

Well all my questions can be answered with virtual desktops. Perhaps it is
because my original computing environment was so lean in memory useage
(Easiwriter reads/writes word2003 and is only 800K) that I grew up on a
system with 2-3 monitors or 6-9 virtual desktops. I habe now been incluined
to go to the virtual desktop route again and am instantly more productive.
But really I'm pretty laid back about things, and actually only interested
in a virtual desktop manager. :-)

As for rev being poorly written, well I think it is actually marvelous. It
has its problems but so do other things. Probably from a Pro point of view
it may be slightly irritating when seing all these windows; however, from my
point of view, I actually love the ease of writing transcript and I'm not
annoyed by the IDE.

> Perhaps another approach would be to lobby Rev to try to make the entire
> IDE more friendly in this particular regard.

Considering the amount of money they make in comparison to Microsoft,
perhaps I should lobby MS to get virtual desktops implemented.

Anyway: Every cloud has a silver lining. Or as Monty Python suggested I
should "Always look on the bright side.....". I now have virtual desktops,
just not the ideal one.

All the best
Bob; Sunny (honest) Scotland