Quartam Reports Released

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 14 19:31:27 EDT 2005

[my apologies if this appears twice]

--- SimPLsol at aol.com wrote:
> Are you serious?
> Have we been waiting 19 months for a "Report Maker"
> that doesn't break
> scrolling fields across multiple pages?!?
> Paul Looney

Hi Paul,

Let me start by saying that I do appreciate your
concern and understand your sentiment very well.

While it is true that it does not _yet_ break
scrolling fields accross multiple pages, it is right
at the top of my list of items to incorporate.

I would encourage everyone to have a good look at the
current feature set: there are useful items for
everyone, a lot of them going far beyond what 9-to-5
Reports or Reports Data Pro ever offered for
HyperCard.

Quartam Reports is based on traditional reporting
tools as you would find in FoxPro, Access and
FileMaker Pro -- it offers among other items:

- data fields using everyday Transcript expressions
- data groups with separate header and footer
- flexible formatting options
- aggregate functions without a line of code
- support for printing conditions, color and inks
- simplified printing commands for stacks, database
cursors and automated queries
- an advanced callback architecture that lets you
combine data from multiple sources

All that in a cross-platform package that lets you get
the most out of what Revolution has to offer. Data
doesn't just come from stacks, it is stored in
databases, internet pages, xml-files, web services,...

Providing developers with support for these advanced
features was my goal. And in order to get this out of
my computer into the hands of my fellow Rev-users,
while working a full-time job, I had to prioritize.

Perhaps not everyone will be happy with the decision
making process that I employed for this, but I do
think that this is a powerful and valuable addition to
the arsenal of Rev-related tools.

In order to accomplish this, I've had to be *quite*
resourceful to make it all work: creating a layout
builder like the one that ships with Quartam Reports,
has proven quite a challenge.

That being said, I would like to repeat that it is my
top priority to bring dynamic resizing fields to the
mix. I have a working prototype that, once again, had
to circumvent limitations in the environment.

But I have to do more than split text over pages: I
need to support relative positioning of items to make
this feature as flexible as it deserves to be. Another
challenge that I'm taking up in the coming weeks.

Version 1.0 is not an end-point, it is the start of a
long roadmap that will offer developers the best of
features found in similar tools. There are some
exciting features waiting in the wings.

A lot of developers will be more than fine starting
out with this first version. And allow me to point out
that the upgrade to version 1.1 will be FREE to anyone
who buys version 1.0 between now and when the upgrade
ships. I think that shows my commitment.

Again, I most certainly appreciate your eagerness to
have this feature. And I'll make it happen shortly. In
the meantime, Quartam Reports offers tremendous value
right here and right now.

Best regards,

Jan Schenkel.

Quartam - Tools for Revolution