preserve vertical white space in XML?

Terry Judd tsj at unimelb.edu.au
Wed Jul 13 19:19:21 EDT 2005

> From: Sivakatirswami <katir at hindu.org>
> Date: 13 July 2005 3:36:42 PM
> To: How to use Revolution <use-revolution at lists.runrev.com>
> Subject: Re: preserve vertical white space in XML?
>

> Look forward to it... I've already  put a request in to our software
> acquisitions... you should see a new customer soon.
>
> Since you are working on upgrading...
>
> I would like to see some parameter(s) allow for input and output of
> quotes and apostrophes  that did not "escape" quotes or apostrophes
> (converting to entities).  w3Schools.com says only ampersands and "<"
> are truly "illegal"  and so any xml processor really should escape
> these... and they recommend also quotes, apostrophe's and closing  tag
> marker ">" >  also be converted... so, that is what Rev does... all
> five of them. And I don't see a way to turn it off.

One of the nice things about Ken's XML library is that it handles CDATA
nodes well, which makes working with html and other 'illegally'
formatted node data very easy. While I use Rev's own XML extensively
it's not great in this regard and while it reads in CDATA OK, its
inability to create and maintain CDATA nodes is a major shortcoming
IMO.

Terry...

Dr Terry Judd
Lecturer in Educational Technology (Design)
Biomedical Multimedia Unit
Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry & Health Sciences
The University of Melbourne
Parkville VIC 3052
AUSTRALIA