debugger anomaly updated

Timothy Miller gandalf at doctorTimothyMiller.com
Wed Jul 13 17:17:07 EDT 2005

The debugger anomaly in my stacks has been discussed on the list over
the past few days. In brief, the debugger will debug a stack script,
but not a background script. In a bg script, the script window does
open, but the script window remains behind the others and the script
does not pause.

I can force a pause and bring the script window to the front by
deliberately placing an error in the bg script. When the script
pauses and the error window opens, I click on the "debug" button on
the error window. When the script window opens, the debug buttons in
the script window are absent, and the debug menu items are dimmed
out. As far as I can tell, the script won't resume. All I can to is
remove the bad line and save.

When scripts are moved from the bg script to the stack script, the
debugger works normally.

Further testing reveals -- tentatively -- that this anomaly only
appears in my stacks whose original ancestors were created in an
early version of hyperCard, possibly 1.0. Unfortunately, I have about
five of them, fairly large, complex, and very important.

My stacks that were originally created in recent versions of
hyperCard, or Rev, do not have this anomaly.

A week before, there was discussion of another anomaly I struggled
with -- "mark cards by finding..." I won't go into the details. I'd
guess this also ultimately arose from funky data left over from the
earliest versions of hyperCard.

Maybe it's nothing I need to worry about. I can find other ways to
debug bg scripts when I need to. I only wonder about what other
anomalies might lie ahead.

Thanks to the list for all the help and encouragement.

Tim