Buggy debugger?

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Mon Jul 11 22:38:48 EDT 2005

Timothy-

Monday, July 11, 2005, 6:34:09 PM, you wrote:

TM> The details of my debugger frustration, previously described:

>>It works fine on, for example, a simple mouseUp script in a simple
>>button. However, if the button sends a message to a handler in a
>>stack script (for instance), which then sends another message to
>>another handler, nested or not, the debugger won't follow along.
>>"Script debug mode" is definitely turned on. Step Into, etc., are
>>absent and/or dimmed out, typically. Sometimes, I can see the script
>>window open, several windows back, but I can't get to it until the
>>script is done executing. I've tried setting multiple breakpoints in
>>each handler, tried setting breakpoints by script. The script rolls
>>right past them.

It's not clear to me whether you're using "send" in the sense of
messages passing down the object hierarchy or in the sense of the
"send" command. If you're just invoking handlers in other scripts,
then the debugger should work the way you expect it to. If you're
using the "send" command, then "step into" will not follow through the
send. However, a breakpoint in the handler that receives the send will
most definitely break the way it should. i.e.,

-- button "abc" script
on mouseUp
  send "mouseUp" to button "xyz"
end mouseUp

-- button "xyz" script
on mouseUp
  put "hello, bucko" into msg
end mouseUp

Placing a breakpoint in the button "xyz" mouseUp handler will break
into the debugger, as expected. However, placing a breakpoint *only*
in button "abc" and pressing "step into" will not place you in the
script of button "xyz", but will instead act as if "run" had been
pressed. I could have sworn this had been BZ'd, but I couldn't find it
so it's now been entered as BZ #2996.

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net