Why I won't buy an A9Home . . . On Topic!

Bob Hartley rev at armbase.com
Sun Jul 10 15:57:12 EDT 2005

You wrote:

HI Richmond

> As my first PC (as in Personal Computer - rather than clunking along on
> some terminal with somebody else's paw-prints all over it) was a BBC
> Master I have long longed for a RISC OS machine. The A9Home (at last)
> seems just the 'thing'
> (http://www.advantagesix.co.uk/products/A9home.html) smaller than the
> MacMini, featuring an OS in Flash-ROM (no viruses, nothing), and so
> eccentric one can really look odd owning one (maybe I should not have
> written that last bit).

I also used RISC OS for many years and IMHO it is the best gui about
(probably becase I used it so much). I mainly iused RISC OS as a personal
computer (although I did need it for researchh early on) even though I
migtrated to MacOS for image analysis.

The boot time of my StyrongARM desktop was about 5 seconds..... ok I don't
want to go on aboujt how I loved it.

> Of course, RISC OS is used in so many embedded systems that the ability to
> write stuff for it is really useful.

THere were more RISC OS machines sold outwith the desktop market than to the
home/school user. Everything from RADAR, SONAR, Protien purification units,
even the BR train timtable screens. RISC OS was used in Pace set top boxes.
I think they even have BBC BASIC  still luring away in there.

> I will not buy an A9Home because, so far, there is no version of MC/RR for
> RISC OS. Considering that quite a few RISC OS machines are used in the UK
> (as well as elsewhere) in educational environments, it seems a shame there
> is neither MC/RR for RISC OS, or, at least, an engine that allows users of
> MC/RR on Linux/Win/Mac to produce RISC OS compatible standalones.
See this thread

http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/use-revolution/2003-December/026981.html
 There is Hyperstudio for RISC OS but not metacard/RR.

NOw one thing about the A9 is it is a developer only machine at the moment.
I think it is about 400ukp. I know the developer, I bought his personal
custom machine in 1995 ( A Simtec special A5000) that he bought back fomr me
for software testingwhen I got a RiscPC. A machine that had a StrongARM
processor and a Pentuium in the second processor slot. This could be used as
a co-pro or to run windows in a window. Ohhh dear there I go again.

Anyway I know Stuart from Advantage6 (Dont know Mat) and one thing I do know
is that they funded the 32-bitting of RISC OS 4 for the A9. They maybe
interested in funding the software although I expect someone like Andrew
from Rcomp may be more inclined about the porting.

As for Runrev doing it. I expect the size of the RISC OS market is too small
for them.

If you want a look at the OS then you can Get Virtual RiscPC from
www.virtualacorn.co.uk

Advantage6 use this on there Shuttle style emmulation box.
All the best
Bob