spreadsheet-like tables

Jon jbondy at sover.net
Fri Jul 8 20:37:05 EDT 2005

I want to port a simple (!) program that has a "database record" for
each row in a user viewable (and possibly editable) table. The data may
have to be sorted in more than one fashion, and some fields may have to
have different colored backgrounds or text.   Some fields might be
editable in the table, while other fields (memos) might be edited in a
single field at the bottom, where the current record has the memo
contents displayed (I hope this is clearly explained).  Given that I
have no compatible databases on my Windows system (that I know of!), I
may not actually choose to use a database, but perhaps some other
approach (text file(s), multiple cards (something I do not understand
very well), etc)..

So.  Two questions.

First off, what is the best way to present the user with tabular data?
I tried the "table", and it has lots of problems, at least the way I did
it <sick grin>.  Any sample stacks out there for me to study?  I had the
most trouble allowing the user to edit the data: the appearance of the
table went to hell when the user started modifying a field in the table.

Secondly, are there any simple databases that "come with" Windows?  Any
freebie databases that can be (easily?) installed on Windows?  Any
resource I should have consulted before posting this probably-redundant
question?

Thanks

Jon