mark cards by finding -- a problem

Timothy Miller gandalf at doctorTimothyMiller.com
Thu Jul 7 18:34:58 EDT 2005

Jacque replies:

>  > It's starting to sound more like a bug. Or maybe my copy of Rev is
>>  corrupted. I don't know how often that happens.
>
>Virtually never. I don't think it is a bug either, as it works fine
>here (with or without the "bg" designation.) It has to be something
>else. If you can, try it on some other stack with no other scripts
>if you have such a beast around, like an address book stack or
>something.
>
>Or do it from the message box like this:
>
>lock messages;mark cds by finding "name literal" in fld "patientname"
>
>That will avoid interaction with any existing scripts, so see if that works.

Excellent idea, Jacque. You do know your business!

Different stack:

>Unmark all cards
>lock messages
>mark cards by finding "Jones, Bob" in bg field  "daily7"
>answer the number of marked cards

Three marked cards.

Same stack:

>put "Jones, Bob" into theVar
>unmark all cards
>lock messages
>mark cards by finding theVar in bg field  "daily7"
>answer the number of marked cards

Three marked cards, again.

I'm pretty sure three is the correct number of hits.

I don't know what to think. I've described the laborious
troubleshooting I did on the other script. I'm out of ideas.

In the other script, the problem script, --

mark cards by finding string patientName in field "patient name"

-- works just fine. "Find string" is a better way to do it anyway,
because it excludes some extraneous characters that might appear in
that field. I'm inclined to leave well enough alone, unless someone
has some good troubleshooting ideas. If I'm making a mistake, I'd
like to learn from it. It might not happen this time.

It's hard to imagine why

find <whatever> in <some container>

would work, but --

mark cards by finding <theSameThing> in <theSameContainer>

-- wouldn't work.

It's even harder to imagine why the "mark cards by finding..."
command would work right in one script, or stack, but not another.

It seems possible it's just one of those obscure quirks hidden in the
dark recesses of every complex application.

Best regards,

Tim