PDFs in QT Player -- Hot Links Challenge

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Thu Jul 7 16:21:23 EDT 2005

Chipp,

1) one would assume this requires the user has the acrobat plug-in
for  their browsers installed, right?
2) if the user has set a different browser as their default (e.g. I
use FireFox on my mac... not Safari, though Safari is there...) will
altBrowser still call the rendering engine?

Question? Are the browser plug-ins that allow display of PDFs inside
the browsers, written by Adobe? i.e. does the code for those plug ins
comprise a proprietary "object".... what am I driving at? Well, why
doesn't someone write a plug-in for Revolution to view PDF's
directory without going through an embedded browser?

(Hinduism Today would pay money for that...though I suspect there may
be license issues with Adobe...)

Re:

> I'm confused: if all you want to do is see a PDF, you can use
> Acrobat...

Simple: Acrobat is not an environment for a true "enterprise" desktop
client application where:

1) the PDF file is, while being the core content, only a single
element in a larger scenario
2) you want to download files in the background, cache and save to
hard drive.
3) deal with user registration for.
4) serve other media in separate windows.
5) offer interface of email

i.e. do a host of other kinds of operations that only Rev can do...

Sivakatirswami