Setting fonts [OT..abit]

Sarah Reichelt sarahr at genesearch.com.au
Wed Jul 6 18:46:23 EDT 2005

A word of warning. Not all of these are standard with a default Mac
OS X installation. I think some come with Microsoft Office.

> Here are the shared fonts between Mac OS X and Windows XP:
> This does not mean that the result is exactly the same but these
> following fonts "are among the lines of the fontNames" for each
> platform.
>
> Arial (normal, black, narrow)
> Century Gothic
> Comic sans MS
> Courier New
> Georgia
> Impact
> Tahoma
> Times New Roman
> Verdana
> Webdings
> Wingdings

Out of Eric's list, the three listed below are NOT available on my Mac:
Century Gothic
Tahoma
Wingdings

Also, a Mac user (& presumably it is the same for Windows) has the
ability to disable any fonts they like, even fonts used by the
system. So you can never assume a particular font will be available.

It would be nice to be able to specify a font-family as one does in
CSS, so you can choose a few alternatives and default to serif or
sans-serif as a last resort.

Cheers,
Sarah