Embedded objects in fields

Dan Soneson sonesond1 at southernct.edu
Tue Jul 5 22:39:20 EDT 2005

> Oh, I think as a generalization that makes excellent sense. In this
> particular case, it may or may not. This is a straight, lame, read-
> this-card tutorial app; some cards are too long not to scroll
> (already less than ideal from a UI standpoint, but I don't want to
> make the stack as big as the biggest card, or keep changing the
> stack's size, and many cards are such clear logical units they can't
> be broken up without creating conceptual confusion). A few cards have
> special go-here-for-more-information buttons, and those buttons are
> logically attached to particular pieces of the text.
>
> Within that framework, I don't see how to do otherwise than the bit
> whose ugliness you're quite right to point out. Of course the whole
> framework may be screwy -- but that's a very large question about the
> design & efficacy of on-screen tutorials.
>
> Charles Hartman

Hi Charles,

Sorry to jump in so late in this thread, but I too have been
overwhelmed by the traffic on this list, and only get the list in
digest mode. In any case, back to what ignited this discussion, it
seems like what you are looking for is the ability to navigate from
within a field. Did you look into creating hyperlinks with text within
the field? Set the textstyle of a chunk of text within the field to
link, set the linktext to the card/stack destination, and write a
script to navigate to the linktext of the text. Check out the linkText
property and the linkClicked message in the documents.

BTW, glad to see another Rev user from Connecticut!

Dan