Embedded objects in fields

Thomas McGrath III 3mcgrath at adelphia.net
Tue Jul 5 17:32:06 EDT 2005

Charles,

That's so true and maybe we will see some great changes in HIG in the
future. But I wonder if the interface should match the point unless of
course as an example. Of course you can do it, but is it then more like
an artists statement or a designers point? Will the users of the
Tutorials get this?

It certainly peeks my interest. I read L.E. Modesitt's books on
"Recluse" and at first read had difficulty until I realized he was
trying to emulate the theme/plot of the story in his writing style. His
book is about order/chaos (good/evil ) and when describing the idea of
Order (vs Chaos) he would write very deliberately in a structured way
and when writing about Chaos he was all over the place. In the end I
enjoyed it and read all of the other 10 books in the series. But it was
hard to get over at first and he seemed to drop the style after the
first two books.

FWIW

Tom

On Jul 5, 2005, at 3:37 PM, Charles Hartman wrote:

> Sure -- though this is exactly not (if not _exactly_ the opposite of)
> the tutorial situation I'm talking about. That is: if the
> *abstruseness* of some information is part of the point of that
> information, doesn't an interface for getting at it that makes the
> path to it *not* automatic reinforce the point of the information?
>
> A huge percentage of what we do on computers isn't like this; early
> interfaces were bad because they made everything obscure including the
> 95% that shouldn't be. All the UI guidelines are ways of making
> designers conscious of that & so correcting it. My point is that,
> while doing clerical work on a computer (which is most of what most
> people use programs for -- from email to w.p. to googling) shouldn't
> make any extra, irrelevant demands on users' attention, I don't
> believe that applies to everything people do on computers.

Macintosh PowerBook G-4 OSX 10.3.9, OS 9.2.2, 1.25 GHz, 512MB RAM, Rev
2.6

Advanced Media Group
Eagle Works Art & Sculpture
Semantic Compaction Systems