Where are my sub-menus?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Jul 5 13:05:07 EDT 2005

Jon wrote:
> "What application and which of its menu items do this?"
>
> Well, the OS, for one.  The feature is called Personalized Menus.  The
> doc says "Personalized Menus keeps the Programs menu clean by hiding
> items you haven't used recently, while still keeping other programs
> easily accessible.  You can gain access to hidden programs by clicking
> the down arrow at the bottom of the Programs menu".  Similar "features"
> are provided with other MS products, like Office.
>
> Yetch.  Bletch.  Yuck. Good for  casual users, but death to anyone with
> decent reflexes and physical memory.

Ah, I see.  It's not like this is happening with normal application
menus; the Start menu is a special case.

I can see arguments both ways.  It would be good to read the research
behind the decision, but alas no major OS vendor publishes their HI
research anymore (it's a different world than when Tog worked at Apple).

My opinion: all OS features must be presumed to be driven by marketing,
CEO whim, or other counter-productive source until the vendor publishes
the rationale behind the decision.  With the "why", the "what" must
remain suspect.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation