design problem: fonts and spacing

Charles Hartman charles.hartman at conncoll.edu
Sat Jul 2 08:03:02 EDT 2005

It might well be just Palatino. I'm just finishing up recasting the
examples (only) in Courier, and haven't seen a problem there.
Palatino is probably not a good choice anyway (though it's my
favorite font for many purposes) -- I see that my 24-point Palatino
title on the top card of my stack comes out in default-size default-
font (Arial?) print on Windows.

I assume that's because if a stack calls for a font that isn't
available on the present system, a default font is substituted. Is
that right?

That leads to another question: What fonts is it _safe_ to assume one
will find on Mac, OSX, Windows? (Linux?) I know it's possible to ask
in a script, but that doesn't help very much with the design problem,
when something about the font is critical. Is there a list,
somewhere, of (the presumably very few) fontnames that will always
work everywhere?

Charles Hartman