How do I make simple multiple user access app?

Stephen Barncard stephenREVOLUTION at barncard.com
Fri Jul 1 09:44:20 EDT 2005

>Revolution with simple scripting and stack structure, yes; MySQL,
>no. Not yet, anyway. :-)

I was under the assumption that this was a shared database project.
If it's just the same app on the same machine, then a card-metaphor
thing would work. If it goes on the network like that, one user could
use it at a time, but would require connecting to the network or
leaving it connected with a shared folder.

If you are getting into psueduo-database with multiple users at once
and sharing kludges on a network, you are already out of the 'simple'
category anyway. I was just relating my experiences finding 'simple'.

>It couldn't (yet) be done using an external server (although I'm
>fairly confident that this is how it will work in the long term),
>and the internal IT management issue (political again) means it
>won't be something set up within the network either. Again: yet.

So you might to spend a lot of time on code that will have to be
upgraded later for the network.

I can't suggest anything to do about silly IT political restrictions.

>Thanks for the info on the Dreamhost feature for limiting SQL access
>by IP address. That's achievable using PHP anyway,

But you wanted simple. This is just their interface using a feature
of the SQL server.

>  but it is handy to know of services which deal with this sort of
>thing for you.

MySQL server handles this; it's a feature.

sqb