Socket timeout not working with libUrl

Sarah Reichelt sarahr at genesearch.com.au
Mon Jan 31 20:33:13 EST 2005

>    2) If I open the socket with a domain address, e.g.
> www.webphotospro.com, Mac OS X does a DNS lookup, puts up the rainbow
> rotating color cursor, and hangs until the DNS lookup fails.  On my
> machine this takes 60 seconds (apparently it's dependent on how many
> dns servers you have listed).

What happens if you try:
   hostNameToAddress("www.webphotospro.com")
and use the result of that as the address for opening the socket?
In my tests, this takes about 4 seconds the first time it is called if
I am connected (which is long enough for the SPOD to appear). When I am
disconnected, it fails instantly and return empty.

Sarah