SpellCheck (re-inventing the wheel)

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Sat Jan 29 15:48:18 EST 2005

Alex:

Thanks *so* much for this... I really need it... if anyone gets their
head around some fast algorithms for  pulling up a short suggestion
list before I do, please post it.

My context is that most words that the users will mis-spell are
specialized (sanskrit, tamil, names of obscure places e.g. "Chennai" ).
So, where an obvious mis-spelling like "mikl " the user will know how
to change to "milk"-- for the specialized words, she will need to see a
selection of choices...

I know we could go "crazy" with this and code for auto replacement of
the mis-spelled word, etc. which adds a new layer of complexity,  but
for now I would be satisfied with manual user entry into a separate
stack where they could enter 1, 2, 3 initial chars and get a list of
words starting with those characters (99.9% of cases the first char is
assured), a click down could put that on their clip board and they
could paste it over the mis-spelled word. I would have our master
all-publicaitions lexicon entries loaded-appended to that global
variable gWords, to supplement  the main word list.

Or, we *could* go nuts and do some repeat loop with a word offset and
replace all instances of the mis-spelled word if it exists etc..

Sivakatirswami
Himalayan Academy Publications
at Kauai's Hindu Monastery
katir at hindu.org