Control windows application - API

MisterX b.xavier at internet.lu
Fri Jan 28 11:44:25 EST 2005

a windows .net or vb com or dll interface for RR would be
a cool bugzilla request... I thought about it a lot 3 years
ago - but found there's a bunch of exe's you can call via
shell calls that do it much easier...

A way to directly interface dll's calls would be nice too.
User32.dll for one... What I mean is that many MS IO calls
available in their "toolbox" is available for other programming
languages. Why not Rev right?

In RunRev you have to wrap them in an external but the
process is tedious. CompileIt in HyperCard was a much
better solution. But the problem is the compiler mapping
of all the calls, symbols, etc, for each type of compile:
W2K, WKP, W2K3 and all the CPU versions... Only a good
compiler can add all those #defines...

If RR already could register NT events for failures it would
be a big plus. Currently there's no way (out of the external's
debugger) to know what went wrong when something does. The
sessionlog file could help but it doesn't much really out of
the GUI context - AFAIK...

A little google and you can find a zillion alternatives to any
xcmd - sometimes with the source even!

Check out www.shellcity.com for example. In my case, the NT resource kit
allowed me to control anything in our servers, file structures, user
accounts, you name it. I can even shell wsh if needed. But the exe's are the
shortest route. Even for GUI applications like EnterpriseAdmin, DameWareNT,
DFS, AD or NetBackup, calling shells is much more effective and "already
coded" to avoid the extra work...

It's just not elegant, i know... But it does just about anything!

;)
Xa
--
Nitrous Palettes and utilities for RunRev
http://MonsieurX.com