print without choosing printer

Paul Kocsis pkocsis at cox.net
Thu Jan 27 22:31:48 EST 2005

>> My app relies on pseudo-threading schemes, and thus, doing anything
>> that
>> makes the engine stop and wait will not work for this app as it must
>> continue to process many ongoing events.
>>
>> I can't print (on XP) without the printer being chosen via the printer
>> dialog (either using answer printer or utilizing revShowPrintDialog).
>> The
>> problem is that while the XP printer dialog box is up, the engine is
>> froze...waiting for that dialog box to be dismissed...and thus all my
>> ongoing realtime processing comes to a halt.
>>
>> I have written an external to get the device name for the default
>> printer,
>> which is what (I'm thinking) answer printer is essentially doing.
>
>Could you do "answer printer" when the app first starts, before it's
>threading gets going?
>
>It doesn't solve the problem, but might be a viable workaround.
>
>Sarah

Thank you for your suggestion Sarah.  That could be a work around...and
revPrintField works the first time (after choosing the printer from the
printer dialog), but on subsequent calls (with 'revShowPrintDialog
false,false' executed immediately preceding the subsequent call to
revPrintField) nothing prints!  The only way I can get revPrintField to work
is when if a print dialog box is displayed proceeding *each* call to
revPrintField...

Paul Kocsis