Getting User Email Settings

Andre Garzia soapdog at mac.com
Thu Jan 27 22:09:47 EST 2005

Richard,

There are many email users that do not know their email settings, a CD
given by the ISP will set the thing up.

Dan,

I know how to retrieve user info on OS X, I did it sometime ago, there
are more than one way to do it. What settings are you looking for? The
easiest way to find your way in mail.app  is to look into the
Library/Mail folder inside the Home folder of a user (~/Library/Mail)
this folder will contain folders that will describe the email accounts,
the name of the folders will contain the email and also the protocol
used to retrieve the emails.

For the rest of the info, you can look inside the .plist of Mail.app or
use the command line utility called scutil which will give you access
to all the prefs data in the system (but it's a little awkard to use)
or the command line util called defaults which is very easy to use,
I'll put two examples below:

defaults read com.apple.mail MailAccounts

this reads and displays all info for the incomming mail accounts.

defaults read com.apple.mail DeliveryAccounts

this reads and displays all info for the delivery accounts.

Using defaults is better than parsing .plists....

Cheers
andre

--
Andre Alves Garzia ð 2004 ð BRAZIL