Outsourcing of programming work to countries with lower cost-of-living expenses

kee nethery kee at kagi.com
Thu Jan 27 15:10:00 EST 2005

 From what I understand from others who outsource, the big dividing line
is a detailed spec and detailed testing and intellectual property
security. If you know exactly what you want and it is pure coding, zero
design, and you can test the code when you get it to make sure it
actually does exactly what you specified, and if you lose nothing if
the outsourcer gives the same code to their next client, then
outsourcing can work quite well. If you kind of need something that
does this kind of thing and has a user interface and you do not know
enough about the problem space to write a detailed spec and you want
this to remain a trade secret, but you can create a wish list,
outsourcing does not tend work.

In my opinion, Revolution is geared more towards the I'm not sure
exactly what I need and I need to write code to explore the problem
space to help define what it is that I need, kinds of programming
tasks. You can mock up anything and through actual interaction with a
working system, determine exactly what you need. At that point, you are
either done because the performance is fine, or you convert screen
shots and algorithms to a detailed spec and see if that gets you what
you need.

My two cents,
Kee Nethery