Accepting AppleEvents

kee nethery kee at kagi.com
Thu Jan 27 01:32:57 EST 2005

-- I put this in the stack script of the main stack that is getting
compiled into a Mac application
on appleEvent theClass,theID
   global thisStackName
   if theClass is "misc" and theID is "dosc" then
     request appleEvent data -- get the content of the AppleEvent
     put it into thedata

     -- hard code the card ID and stack name that you want to be on.
     -- sometimes the appleevent handler is on this card, sometimes not,
this
     -- insures that where ever it is, it comes back to where it should
be.
     put "myAppleEventAcceptingApplication" into theStackName
     put "1267" into theCardId
     if the name of this stack is theStackName AND /
       the id of this card = theCardId then
       go to card id theCardId of stack theStackName
     end if

     -- now that we know we are on the correct card, I can take the
data, put it into a field
     put thedata into field "theData"
     -- and then press a button that will manipulate the data in that
field, and the button will
     -- put the results into another field
     send doit to button "actionButton"

     -- grab the results from that field
     put field "theResult" into theResult

     -- this sends the results data back to the application that sent
the appleEvent.
     reply theResult
   else
     -- there are plenty of appleEvents that get sent to an application
and
     -- if it is not the misc dosc combination, then pass it on so that
it
     -- gets dealt with in the normal manner by Revolution.
     pass appleEvent
   end if
end appleEvent

I am sending data from HyperCard to this app using AppleEvents and
having that data manipulated and then the results returned back to
Hypercard. The AppleScript I am using in Hypercard is:

property thedata : []
property theresult : []

on mouseUp
	doit()
end mouseUp

to doit()
	copy field "thedata" as text to thedata
	copy "" to field "theresult"

	try
		tell application "myAppleEventAcceptingApplication"
			activate
			with timeout of 1200 seconds
				-- do script is appleevent of "dosc"
				do script thedata
			end timeout
			copy the result to theresult
		end tell
		copy theresult to field "theresult"
	on error errMsg number errNum
		copy "" & return & "" & return to theresult
		copy theresult to field "theresult"
	end try

	tell application "HyperCard"
		activate