Web database suggestions

Andre Garzia soapdog at mac.com
Tue Jan 25 11:22:38 EST 2005

Richard,

I would use some SQL database system, since this would be accessed over
a network I would probably set on postgreSQL or MySQL. PostgreSQL got
the advantage of being free for commercial purposes so it's a better
catch then MySQL, also, experts says that is a better DB as well but I
really don't know why, I think it's because it's ACID compliant and I
don't know if MySQL is.

With the aid of libDatabase by Trevor it's a snap to build rev apps
that deals with database and if you have a webhost the chances that you
have a mySQL available to you is very big. Don't go for solutions that
will lock you down like text files, okay, you have 1000 records now,
but, if the thing got bigger? what would you do?

if you design your database well and your app to make as little
roundtrips as needed to access the data it needs, then I think you have
a winner in the Revolution/MySQL combo.

cheers
andre

On Jan 25, 2005, at 1:43 PM, Richard Miller wrote:

> I'm looking for a simple solution for storing and accessing data on a
> hosted server. Initially, the database need hold only about 1000
> records, containing simple contact information (15 fields). Reading
> and writing data is the main purpose... only a small amount of
> searching need take place. Access will be directly from a Rev
> application (not a browser or html file). Suggestions?
>
> I've been experimenting with placing a simple text file on the server
> and accessing it as if it was a local file, using lines like:
>
>     put line 1 of url "ftp://myaddress.com/data.txt" into var1
>
> This seems to work reasonably well for testing purposes, but access
> time is rather slow (even through a broadband connection) and the file
> seems prone to corruption. Comments?
>
> Thanks.
> Richard Miller
> Imprinter Technologies