living and learning (Re: RunRev vs RealBasic (Richard Gaskin))

Geoff Canyon gcanyon at inspiredlogic.com
Sat Jan 22 16:08:11 EST 2005

On Jan 19, 2005, at 12:05 PM, Chipp Walters wrote:

> It's really just a matter of style, for instance, I *never* use the
> card method for this. I only use multiple card stacks in a couple
> places:
>
> 1) Wizards
> 2) I many times use the 2nd card in a stack to store all the icons for
> the first card.
>
> This goes along with the concept of keeping the data and presentation
> layers completely seperate. HyperCard (and to an extent RunRev) allow
> users to mix the two, I prefer not to for a variety of good reasons.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean here. If we're talking about a
way to set up a tab panel, we're not talking about data at all. The
different cards would have different controls -- presentation layers,
if you prefer -- on them.

If you're talking about data vs. presentation, then are you talking
about the common practice of using HyperCard stacks as a database? You
have a multi-card stack with a common group of controls, with different
data in the fields on each card. I also generally prefer not to do
that, although I'm not religious about it. Apart from philosophical
issues, it limits you to several thousand records (in Revolution) as
beyond that stacks become significantly slow to open and save.

regards,

Geoff Canyon
gcanyon at inspiredlogic.com