revMail fails on some Macs

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Wed Jan 19 14:45:12 EST 2005

Thanks to everyone for pointing out the not-so-obvious  -- I would
never have thought to look in mail.apps prefs.

But, I decided to "transcend the local configuration" as the prospect
of mentoring 20-30 team players through getting their system set up
correctly was way too scary.

Many still don't know

Mac: "Finder? What do you mean by "Finder?"
Windows: " I see three different "My Documents" folders. Which should I
use? How will I know if I am in the same one later?" (and a lot
more....  our windows users require 85% more support than our mac
users)

So,  created a very simple xTalk CGI  on our web server and will have
my app do an HTTP Post to  this cgi. This should be rock solid. If
their browser works, this works... simple.

#!/usr/local/bin/revolution
############# Send email to admin ##############
## this CGI reads form input from a form web page or any
## correctly urlEncoded name=value pairs posted from
## a rev app
## and then sends the email out

on startup
if $REQUEST_METHOD is "POST" then
   repeat until length(tDataIn) >= $CONTENT_LENGTH
     read from stdin until empty
     put it after tDataIn
   end repeat
split tDataIn by "&" and "="
put "/usr/sbin/sendmail -t" into mprocess
         open process mprocess for write
         write "From:" && (urlDecode (tDataIn["from"]))& cr to process
mprocess
         write "To:" &&   "katir at hindu.org"  &  cr to process mprocess
         write "Subject:" &&   (urlDecode (tDataIn["subject"]))   &  cr
& cr to process mprocess
        write    (urlDecode (tDataIn["body"])) &  cr to process mprocess
        close process mprocess
   Put "Email was sent successfully." into tResponse
     put "Content-Type: text/html" & cr
     put "Content-Length:" && the length of tResponse & cr & cr
     put tResponse
end if
end startup

Sannyasin Sivakatirswami