Opening custom files by Drag and Drop in standalone

Alejandro Tejada capellan2000 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 19 13:08:35 EST 2005

Alejandro Tejada wrote:

>> I have read this useful Programming tip in your
>> website, and TRY to use it in an standalone
>> player to OPEN ONLY the custom documents of that
>> application.
>>
>> But when i drag and drop a Rev or MC stack to a
>> standalone i had created, IT OPENS... :-(

Ken Ray answer:

> Yes, and this may be a bug (I tested Windows) -
> you get the path to the stack you dropped in $1,
> but you don't get any messages to trap to
> prevent that stack from opening...
> I tried trapping preOpenStack and
> openStack, and it only triggers for the
> application, not the document stack that is
> opening.
> I think you should log this as a bug, unless someone
> has an answer for this...

I even try with the message:

On Startup

but not even within this handler,
i could prevent the stack from opening... :-(
I really hope that it were possible.

Could you test your handler within
the startup message? (Crossing my fingers) :-)

I believe that everyone rolled their own file
format, using the stack format as a starting point...
so, i'm a bit surprised by this.

How many developers use the unmodified stack
format as document file format
of their applications?

"Frank D. Engel, Jr." wrote:

> Under Windows, you would need to check
> the $1 variable when starting
> the standalone, or check the openStacks
> or some such, and if a stack is
> specified, close it right away, display
> an error message, and quit? (Just a guess)

I dont like that another file, created by
anyone opens in my application.
Not even a bit... ;-(

I do not want to use the securemode in my
apps because sometimes is necessary to save
a file in the desktop.

Ken Ray wrote:

> the problem is that the document stack
> always displays before you can do anything
> about it, so it looks funky. :-)

and all stacks are able (from a preopenstack handler)
to copy binary files to hard disks, change
registry settings, a maybe even run an
executable, etc, etc...

> I still think this is a bug, though...

i have not too much experience posting
bugs reports to Bugzilla.

Ken, if you could post this bug, please do.
Write back to the mail list for the number
assigned to this report.

I'm really interested in learning a solution
for this.

al

=====
Visit my site: