RunRev vs RealBasic

Thomas Gutzmann thomas.gutzmann at gutzmann.com
Tue Jan 18 11:39:34 EST 2005

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 11:06:16 -0500
  "Lynch, Jonathan" <BNZ2 at CDC.GOV> wrote:
>>The problem with large class libraries is that (with a bit of
>>exaggeration) only the developer understands them, and when they are
>>very large, with many subclasses, he will only understand them until
>>he's got nuts.
>
> Um... This is one of those odd cliché translation sort of things... Really kinda funny, but just
>FYI -  The English phrase would be "until he's gone nuts" - the odds are that 'he' has already
>got nuts, regardless of the state of his current mental health.

Thank you for the correction - life is dangerous for nonnatives.

I remember to other traps:

- an English colleague bringing me back to the hotel asked me if we were near. I didn't understand
why he laughed when I asked him to drive me round the bend.

- in my very first meeting in England I had to explain that I was self-employed (at that time).
One possible German word which sprang up to my mind was "Unternehmer". "Unter" is "under",
"nehmen" is "to take", but I was definitely no undertaker - and the auditorium was amused.

I was also told to avoid "on the job" in certain cases.

I'm glad that most English people I know are very tolerant and polite.

Thomas G.