Programming Contest: Mars Rescue.

Roger.E.Eller at sealedair.com Roger.E.Eller at sealedair.com
Tue Jan 18 10:26:54 EST 2005

Andre,

That sounds like allot of fun! The objective of plotting the shortest path
sounds very similar to what Strabo Pathfinder does. Strabo is a program
used by robotics enthusiasts to map out the rooms of their home to allow a
robot (we'll assume that it is a mars rover) to move freely on the map
without crashing into walls and furniture. More info about Strabo
Pathfinder can be found at:

http://www.wehali.com/robotics/strabo.htm

Anyways, the algorithms used to plot the shortest route is one that are
Dijkstra and A* (commonly used in games). I have no clue as to how it
works, but I would love to see the algorithm recreated in transcript.

Roger Eller <roger.e.eller at sealedair.com>