High CPU Usage Caused by Breakpoints

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Jan 17 11:51:07 EST 2005

Thomas Gutzmann wrote:

> I always wondered why on my Mac (OS/X) Revolution was using more than
> 50% of the CPU, even when everything except the main stack was closed
> and the IDE was in design mode (pointer tool).

Does the mainstack have a default button?  Those throbbing buttons eat
cycles like crazy.  Even Apple's NavServices dialog will cause an app to
go to 7-10%, but in Rev it's higher because of the greater flexibility
offered (it has to buffer the image to allow any backdrop behind it, not
just the OS stripes).

But even with the extra work Rev is doing, on my system it never takes
more than 25%.  Are there pending messages or other background tasks
which may contribute to this?

Also, which version are you using?  In older versions a high spike for
the throbbing default button was more common, but this was reduced
dramatically  in v2.5

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation