Trouble with graphics display in OS X

James Hurley jhurley at infostations.com
Sun Jan 16 09:53:25 EST 2005

>Message: 2
>Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 11:46:19 -0800
>From: Scott Rossi <scott at tactilemedia.com>
>Subject: Re: Trouble with graphics display in OS X
>To: How to use Revolution <use-revolution at lists.runrev.com>
>
>Recently, James Hurley wrote:
>
>>  I need to know whether my problem with OS X
>>  lies in my computer graphics card or with RR.
>
>One other question James: are the OS9 and OSX systems you're comparing
>running on the same box or different boxes?  Because another issue you *may*
>be running into *might* have to do with the capability of the graphics
>card/s (yet another variable in the problem).
>
>Regardless, it still may be possible to script a solution around your
>problem.
>
>Regards,
>
>Scott Rossi
>Creative Director
>Tactile Media, Development & Design
>-----
>E: scott at tactilemedia.com
>W: http://www.tactilemedia.com

Scott

Same machine.

I have a scripted solution for OS X. But it is not very good. You can
see this best in Turtle Graphics applied to controls:

In the message box: go url
"http://home.infostations.net/jhurley/ControlTurtles.rev"

Just click the  button "Fixed/Not fixed for OS X"

The issues are related to the screen refresh in situations in which
there is an evolving graphic, a display generated in a repeat loop,
or mouseMove. One can force a refresh with "Wait 0 millisec" or
"Unlock screen."

Without the forced refresh, things are displayed very quickly but
only intermittently.

With the forced refresh things are displayed smoothly but much more
slowly than in OS 9 or Windows.

I would hope there would be a compromise. But maybe not. It may be an
inherent problem with the greater demands that OS X places on
graphics display--as Richard pointed out.

Jim