MacWorld part 2

Hannu Kokko hannu.kokko at iki.fi
Sat Jan 15 14:12:48 EST 2005

Hi

I used to develop relational datab ase applications apps for company
internal use with something called Double Helix in the 80's. It was
completely iconic stuff, you only wrote the names of the things, everything
else was an icon. Stuff worked, could be quite complex. Maintenance was a
bit of a headache. The tool seems still to be around and they are slowly
being ported to Mac OS X, couple of years ago I tried the apps in a then
current generation of Macs and the apps appeared quite speedy (in the 80's
you could not call them really speedy).

--h

On 15.1.2005 19:00, "Mark Talluto" <userev at canelasoftware.com> wrote:

> On Jan 15, 2005, at 7:24 AM, James Richards wrote:
>
>> There is a very real sense in which words can be viewed as icons, but
>> complex icons which have certain possibilities of interrelationship
>> built into them.  This is probably hard to simulate in iconic
>> programming
>>

> I did a prototype of a commercial app (kiosk) on an Amiga with an
> iconic language developed by Commodore.  For the life of me, I can not
> remember its name.  Maybe someone out there used Amigas as well.  It is
> very cool, but it too had its limitations.

Hannu Kokko
 "99,5% ain't enough"