[ANN] GetInLine, Now More In Line

Wilhelm Sanke sanke at hrz.uni-kassel.de
Sat Jan 15 12:30:26 EST 2005

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005,Trevor DeVore <lists at mangomultimedia.com> wrote:

> On Jan 13, 2005, at 3:05 PM, Scott Rossi wrote:
>
> >> One cosmetic issue I can't figure out: when doing a screencapture here
> >> on
> >> WinXP, the desktop icons flash as if the desktop is being redrawn.
> >> Any way
> >> to avoid this phenomenon?
>
> I wonder if the flashing would still occur if you imported the snapshot
> using the windowID feature as opposed to a global rect.  This would
> only work in Rev 2.5 > where the bug was fixed but maybe it would solve
> the problem of flashing and still allow you to use the transparency.
>
> -- Trevor DeVore Blue Mango Multimedia trevor at mangomultimedia.com

I have got a stack here ("Multiple Choice Tutorial"; see my website)
that uses integrated "transparent" answer and ask dialogs, where the
transparency is produced by taking a snapshot of the rect beneath the
dialog, which is then masked by a translucent overlay image to achieve
the effect of semi-transparency of the dialogs.
No flashing occurs on WindowsXP with the latest Rev engine of Nov 19th,
and none with earlier versions

I compared the scriptlines responsible for taking the snapshots in
"GetInLine" and "Multiple Choice Tutorial" and found no relevant
differences.

The one difference of the "Multiple Choice" stack is that I set the
backdrop. If I remove the backdrop, then I get a flashing, but only at
the bottom line of the screen.
The same holds (of course) for your stack. With the backdrop set to any
color there is no visible flashing.

Such a workaround is probably not always feasable - depending on the
intentions for the design of a stack - and it would be nice to find a
general solution of this snapshot-flashing problem.

Regards,

Wilhelm Sanke
<www.sanke.org/MetaMedia>