Collaboration on the LAN

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 14 02:12:02 EST 2005

--- Sivakatirswami <katir at hindu.org> wrote:
> OK here is a "brainstorm" type post:
>
> [snip]
>
> So first solution I can think of would be to have a
> distributed viewer
> stack that reads the main stack from the server...
> and the captions are
> external text files... with some kind or semaphore,
> locking mechanism
> "caption being edited" which is on if it is in use,
> release when done.
> Maybe external text files are not necessary... if I
> had a permanently
> open and running rev process-stack on the server and
> the viewer stack
> just talked to that and the captions were contained
> inside there. Or
> may be no stack on the server at all which only has
> the photos and
> external caption text files and semaphore flags
>
> I'm just beginning to think about this, and looking
> for any and all
> ideas.
>
> TIA
>
> Sivakatirswami

I think your last idea is on the right track, and I
can't believe that Andre hasn't suggested it yet (Take
away a man's casket, and he -- hold on, that's not a
real expression -- oh, shoot) : have a look at his
libNetServices server solution and the XML-RPC client
library that ships with Rev 2.5
Combining those two, you can run a server application
that receives requests from client stacks, returns the
pictures and the data that goes with it, and then when
the clients is finished, receives the annotations.
You can even send it an XML-RPC command to start
uploading to the real website !

Hope this helped,

Jan Schenkel.
----