text to speech pronunciation

Timothy Miller gandalf at doctortimothyMiller.com
Mon Jan 10 11:25:22 EST 2005

Hi,

This is actually a question about DreamCard for OS 9... I asked about
this on the HC list too. Sorry about the duplication.

I'm revising an old HC stack I wrote for my wife to help her
elementary school students practice phonics. She has an elderly
macintosh in her classroom, which could be dedicated to this use, so
HC is perfect, really.  The stack presents nonsense syllables,
mostly. It shuffles different word beginnings to the same word
endings, vice versa, etc.

Maybe I can upgrade the ancient machine to the point that a DreamCard
standalone would run on it.

I'm trying to use the saytext external for HC to get the computer to
pronounce the nonsense syllables. It's pretty good most of the time,
but some nonsense syllables get mispronounced. For example, "wap"
gets mispronounced as "wop" (No slurs against Italians intended.)

I've tried modifying the text that gets passed to sayText, with
little luck. According to Apple, macinTalk pronunciation can be
altered by a long list of modifiers.

The commas here do produce pauses.
	wap, woop,, wap,,, whap,,, wopper

This works
	chocolate cake

The de-emphasis code here works:
	chocolate [[emph - ]] cake

None of the following work, though. The symbols either get ignored or
pronounced literally.

I like % choc=o=late @ cake
I like chocolate [[/ ]] cake
I like chocolate [[/]] cake
I like chocolate / cake
Hello, I am [[inpt PHON]]mAYkAXl[[inpt TEXT]], the talking
computer.

As far as I can tell, I reached the limits of what the sayText
external can do. Apparently, it only passess a small subset of all
possible pronunciation modifiers to macinTalk.

How about DreamCard. I assume it has some text to speech ability.
(true?) Does it allow more pronunciation modifiers than HyperCard?

Thanks,

Tim