Open-source: Presentation software

Mark Talluto userev at canelasoftware.com
Thu Jan 6 14:42:49 EST 2005

On Jan 6, 2005, at 11:32 AM, Gordon Webster wrote:

> Mark
>
> I checked out your Yahoo groups page - the project
> sounds potentially interesting but it's hard to know
> how interesting in the absence of more info.

Hi Gordon,

I am very new at working in an open-source project.  Ask me what you
want to know and I'll tell you what I can.  I am probably missing all
the key marketing phrases to excite the senses.  It really is pretty
simple though.  I am no longer selling my commercial presentation
software called Multimedia Generator.  I have decided to open up the
code to those that are interested in improving it.  Some of you might
just want to download it and use it for your own use.  Others might
have a bent on making it one of the best alternatives to Keynote or
Powerpoint.

My intended user base was educators.  They did not want a huge product
that could do everything under the sun.  Most just wanted to import
pictures of their students for end of the year presentations.  Others
used it as a HyperStudio replacement when they switched to OS X.

It has become difficult to compete with the big guys and their
offerings.  Price and simplicity are its key features.

It is lacking in certain areas.  It could really use a visual
representation of each slide as an example.

Beginners may like taking it apart and seeing how things work.  As I
look at it years later, I shake my head and ask "What was I thinking?"
As we grow in skill, we find that there is always more than one way to
do a task.  It seems that my early years chose some pretty strange yet
effective methods.  The good part is that it is commented pretty well.

I am working on putting in the license on the about screen.  I just
gutted the registration code so that anyone can use it.  I'll post the
stack on the yahoo group in about 20 minutes.

--
Best regards,
Mark Talluto