a basic stupid splashscreen question

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Tue Jan 4 05:10:54 EST 2005

Here's one way to do it.

Have your standalone have a substack called "dataTemplate." Because
"dataTemplate" is a subStack of a standalone, you can never save it. So,
when your app launches, you can do the following: (from my memory so
please forgive typos)

go inv stack "dataTemplate"
set the name of stack "dataTemplate" to "myDataFile"
save stack "dataTemplate" as "myDataFile.rev"
-->THIS SAVES IT IN THE SAME DIRECTORY AS YOUR STANDALONE
-->AND NOW YOU CAN OPEN IT, WRITE TO IT AND SAVE IT
delete stack "dataTemplate"
-->THIS REMOVES dataTemplate FROM MEMORY
go inv stack "myDataFile.rev"
-->NOW myDataFile.rev IS OPEN AND CAN BE REFERRED TO BY
-->ITS NAME "myDatafile"
-->DO STUFF TO STACK myDataFile
compact stack myDataFile
save stack myDataFile

Notice, I'm keeping the data stacks invisible. I do this so that I can
really separate the data from the presentation layer of the app. I copy
the data I need to the main stack where it is edited/modified/tweaked
and copied back to the data stack and saved.

Hope that helps,

best,

Chipp