Files

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Sun Jan 2 17:49:39 EST 2005

On Jan 2, 2005, at 11:22 AM, Bill Vlahos wrote:

> 1. If you create a standalone app it won't be able to save the data
> within itself but you could easily have it save a text or binary file
> which it could open. There are ways to encrypt the file if needed
> since it would contain passwords.

One can associate user names, not with the passwords, but with the
digests of the passwords.  Then on user name and password verification,
generate a digest or hash (such as MD5 or custom) of the password and
check that against the file entry.  The password itself is never saved.
  (Encrypting the file would not hurt, but now becomes less important.)

(I go to a special effort to minimize the chance that nothing other
than the hash escapes from my passphrase controls.)

Dar