unscribe - solution - perl/Rev script to read mail like this and forward it to appropriate other perl/Rev script?

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Fri Feb 4 13:28:14 EST 2005

James Witte wrote:

>   Might a bit of very simple NLP be in order here?
>
>   How difficult would it be to write a small (7 line perhaps?) Perl or
> Rev script (I assume RunRev eats its own dogfood for it's list server
> management too) to detect things like this, forward the sender address
> to the appropriate other list-manger script, send a message to that
> effect to the sender, and then delete it from the Use-Rev list (okay,
> maybe 12 lines for all that).

Bad assumption. If you visit
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution and scroll to
the bottom, you'll see that they use "Mailman", which is "Python
Powered". If you ask me, that was the right decision - use standard,
existing tools and focus their development resources on their own
business needs (i.e. fixing bugs and giving us more features !!)

>   We are programmers after all..

And that means will never have enough time to get everything finished -
so we need to avoid distractions. :-)

btw - I think it would be quite difficult. You need to pick out many
varied combinations of words that mean "unsubscribe" - but you'd better
not pick out this email, or any of the preceding ones in this thread;
similar complexity level to a Bayesian spam filter, so not impossible,
but far from a 12-line script.