Problem with stack dimensions

Sarah Reichelt sarah.reichelt at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 16:15:34 EST 2005

On 12/31/05, Stgoldberg at aol.com <Stgoldberg at aol.com> wrote:
> What are the optimal Revolution stack dimensions to fill a screen set at
> 1024x768 resolution (I'm using Mac OSX to develop)? Setting the stack dimensions
> to 1024x768 seems too big, because the titlebar adds extra space on Windows,
> and the dock gets in the way on Macintosh. It would seem that one would have
> to set the stack dimensions to less than 1024x768. But what dimensions are
> optimal? Thanks.
> Steve Goldberg

On Macs, the top of the stack needs to be down about 44 pixels and
then you need to leave space for the dock at the bottom. You can use
the windowBoundingRect to tell you how much space this leaves you, or
you can just make an allowance that will be OK for a large dock and
leave space above a small dock.

With Windows, you will need to allow for the taskbar at the bottom. I
don't know how big this is, but again, the windowBoundingRect should
tell you.

Side-to-side, you can fill the screen on either platform.

In the IDE, when you open the stack it will shrinkif necessary to fit
into the windowBoundingRect which is smaller inside Rev to allow for
the toolbar & Tools palette, so you will need to over-ride this and
set the size in one of the opening handlers.

Cheers,
Sarah