Cron on OSX from Rev

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Thu Dec 29 04:33:28 EST 2005

Of course this script wipes out the entire crontab replacing it with
a single entry... (!)  so beware if you have lots of jobs set up with
something  like CronniX (an excellent, very easy to use OSX  cron
utility...  freeware)

It should  not take much to whip up a little Rev GUI to handle a
multi-line file though...

I like to use voice reminders:

like this

/Users/katir/Documents/scripts/goForAWalk.sh

#!/bin/sh
NOW=`date +%H:%M`
say "Please. It's $NOW You have been sitting for an hour. Get up and
go for a walk."

But I thought cron was deprecated on OSX and that we would have to
start eating launchD for this kind of thing in the future?

Ken, thanks for that script.  I can leave CronniX behind now and
move  this stuff into my rev PIM... I've just been thinking about
this recently...  but i could make the  leap between the cmd line and
the rev script...if all it is is managing a single text file of cron
tab lines and then loading with a shell cmd ... that's really 'too
easy!"  :-)

Sivakatirswami

on mouseUp
   put "~/myRemindercron" into tCronFile
   put format("*\t*/1\t*\t*\t*\t") & \
       "/Users/katir/Documents/scripts/goForAWalk.sh" & numToChar(10)
into tCronData
   put tCronData into url("binfile:" & tCronFile)
   get shell("crontab ~/myRemindercron")
   if it <> "" then
     answer error it titled "Cron Status"
   else
     answer "Get up reminder set for every hour." titled "Cron Status"
   end if
   delete file tCronFile
end mouseUp