Message Box, multiple lines

Jim Ault JimAultWins at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 29 12:03:25 EST 2005

On 12/29/05 8:43 AM, "Jerry Muelver" <jerry at hytext.com> wrote:

> I see. Well, in 24 years of computing, I've never, until the G3, even SEEN a
> keyboard with both Enter and Return keys. The distinction must be a "Mac"
> thing.
Actually, Micorsoft Excel 1.0 and forward has always used both the ReturnKey
and EnterKey as two distinctive keyboard codes since MS introduced the
features of textboxes on a spreadsheet that could contain returns (word
processing linefeeds).  Yes, it was a Mac-only version and shipped with the
first Macs (1984)  Of course,  Windows wasn't part of the landscape, but
when it came out, 3.0 had Excel as one of the apps.

Now, on Windows or Mac, a single cell in Excel can do word wrap and line
feeds.  These line feeds are not the same as hitting the ReturnKey on either
the Mac or Windows.

Then along came desktop publishing and blurred the definitions of line
feeds, embedded tabs, and proprietary formats for text, text blocks, page
layout,  graphic formats, and printing commands.

Welcome to the soup :-)

Jim Ault
Las Vegas