Debugging and the execution path

Charles Hartman charles.hartman at conncoll.edu
Sat Dec 24 20:24:29 EST 2005

The distinction in many debuggers is that a "Watched" variable causes
execution to pause (creates a breakpoint) whenever its value changes
-- as opposed to displaying its value, changed or not, whenever
something else (a breakpoint) pauses execution. Naturally a "Watch"
in that sense slows execution down a whole, whole lot, so I've rarely
used them. But occasionally it can be handy -- you don't really know
where your code is going wonky, but you know that whenever it happens
it changes this variable.

Charles