Don't understand the meaning of "local"

Charles Hartman charles.hartman at conncoll.edu
Fri Dec 23 23:16:22 EST 2005

On Dec 23, 2005, at 9:03 PM, J. Landman Gay wrote:

> Mark Wieder wrote:
>> Alex-
>> Friday, December 23, 2005, 4:05:17 PM, you wrote:
>>>   global gVar; delete global gVar
>>> Weird, huh ?   But it works.
>> Thanks. That makes some sort of sense. But Very Very Weird.
>
> Not really different than any other stack. The message box is a
> separate stack with its own scripts. Whenever a global isn't
> declared in the script of another stack, we don't expect it to be
> recognized.

Yes, that's true of course. But it really limits the usefulness of
the m.b. I keep wanting to use it to inspect the state of things --
as a central part of an overall debugging system -- and it doesn't
easily work that way. I think it's counterintuitive for newcomers. It
and the Variable Watcher, between them, are the closest we have to a
debugger, so you think you can use it that way. Of course it isn't
meant to be that. Instead we need a real debugging environment. Go
Constellation!

Charles