Don't understand the meaning of "local"

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Fri Dec 23 14:01:41 EST 2005

Jim-

Friday, December 23, 2005, 8:21:47 AM, you wrote:

> "Local" is a deceptive descriptor. It is used (as a script local) to
> control not only locality, but also persistence--it has both spacial
> and temporal implications.

Not really. I think of variables as being non-persistent, no matter
where they are. Globals are a bit weird in that respect, in that even
if you don't declare them they're still out there waiting to bite you.
I try to declare my local vars in as narrow a scope as I can get away
with, and then pass them as parameters when I need them elsewhere.

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net