Debugging and the execution path

Jerry Daniels jerry at daniels-mara.com
Thu Dec 22 11:24:55 EST 2005

Colleagues,

I'm encouraged by your enthusiasm for an embedded var watcher in
Constellation to replace the Rev Var watcher palette that we now use.

Here's what I'm proposing to do:

- inclusion of an embedded var watcher in Constellation as opposed to
using Rev's as a separate palette

- new var watcher general behavior

      + only appears during debugging session
      + props and preview disappear during debugging session
      + new var watcher appears where props and preview would
normally appear
      + new var watcher automatically appears during debugging session
      + new var watcher automatically disappears when debugging
session is over
      + props and preview reappear when debugging session is over

- new var watcher features

      + calling path
          = drop down menu at top with calling path item in each line
of menu
          = type of handler will be indicated in path item
          = path syntax will be like transcript syntax
          = choosing a calling path will reconstruct its context
showing its vars and values

      + var names
          = name will appear in first column
          = if var is an array, a disclosure triangle will precede
          = clicking array disclosure triangle will reveal element
keys and values

      + var values
          = first 100 chars and/or first line of var value will appear
          = values will be links
          = clicking link will make entire value of var editable
          = array elements will be editable in same fashion when
disclosed

I have been somewhat reluctant to do this because most of this
functionality is in Rev's var watcher. However, the approach outlined
above, does offer several advantages, and hearing from folks so
enthusiastically offers me encouragement.

I appreciate the offer of additional monies for upgrade, and
certainly won't turn down paypal donations (paypal button at http://
www.daniels-mara.com). That said, spreading the word "amongst
yourselves" and thus increasing Constellation market share would be
an excellent tribute (payment) for this boon (embedded variable
watcher) and future improvements.

Reminder: Constellation still only costs 50 dollars US. That's a
cheap dinner for two in any major metro area. If you live in your
mom's (or your wife's!) basement, she spends that kind of money on
your food every couple of days.

Happy Holidays!

Jerry Daniels

Tool makers for the 21st century
http://www.daniels-mara.com/products

P.S. Dick, please send your install-again-for-each-rev-version hack
to me (better rename it so Rev doesn't go bonkers), so I can see
what  you're talking about.