Send spool file to Ip address?

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Wed Dec 21 23:17:56 EST 2005

kevin-

> Thanks for the tip Sarah, I've tried opening a socket to the printer IP
> address and then write the spool file to that socket but this appears not to
> work.
> I'm using :
> open socket "192.168.0.201:631"

> write "c:testspool7600.Print" to socket "192.168.0.201:631"

> and many variations of it but no joy....

I'm sure you have a reason for needing to do this by hand, but...

I think you're going about this all wrong. If you really need to write
your own lpr driver, here's the bible:

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1179.txt

You'll need to write binary to socket 515 if you're talking to a
proper lpr daemon. And you'll need to be sending from a port between
721 and 731. And you'll have to send control packets to the daemon to
tell it what you're trying to do. And if this is on a network with
other computers you'll have to wait until the printer is idle.

All in all, it's nothing I would want to try coding if I had an OS to
take care of things for me.

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net