Debugging and the execution path

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Tue Dec 20 12:49:04 EST 2005

Geoff Canyon wrote:

> On Dec 18, 2005, at 9:18 AM, Mark Wieder wrote:
>
>> I remember the Bad Old Days when we had only a single script
>> editing window at a time and I certainly don't want to go back there
>> again. Keeping the functions separate does make some sense, though.
>> But the scroll button should be documented.
>

> I haven't upset Jacque lately, so I should jump in here and add that  I
> long for the "Bad Old Days."

Jacque is having trouble remembering when the last "single script
window" was the maximum, so can't really make too much trouble for you.
;) I think that was back in HyperCard 1.0, yes? Like, 20 years ago?

> I have enough windows open when an app is running, I don't want a
> plethora of new ones just because I'm debugging.
>
> I want a purpose-built debugging window that shows variables, the
> calling chain, and the currently executing code in a single window  that
> will go away when execution ends.

That sounds kind of cool to me, actually. I have a hard time working on
my Powerbook, where screen real estate is scarce. A one-window composite
would be ideal.

I will try to think of something else to get upset with you about
though, if you are feeling neglected. :)

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com