Image Display Issues on Win XP

Bill Marriott wjm at wjm.org
Tue Dec 20 11:59:19 EST 2005

Rob Cozens wrote:

> Thanks for the additional info.  One question: Does alwaysBuffer really
> mean anything if an image is added directly into a stack [as opposed to
> adding it by reference]?  It seems to me an image included in a stack file
> is always in memory once the stack is opened.

I really don't know in an authoritative way the specifics of how Rev manages
memory for itself, except that "alwaysBuffer" definitely applies to stacks,
windows, and images within a stack. I am pretty sure an entire stack is not
loaded into RAM on opening though. That would just not be smart ;)

> Suppose one is creating a portfolio of photographic art.  Furthermore,
> assume the "original" photographs are sold as "one-of-a-kind" photos, with
> the proviso that the original electronic photo image is "destroyed" after
> a print is made.  How does one provide a likeness of the image (in 5 MPix
> detail) without providing access to the image file itself?

I've seen photographers add highly visible text to sample photos -- like a
repeating pattern of a photographer's logo or company name, or the word
"SAMPLE" printed/overlayed larger than life -- so that the photo is unusable
in its digital format. Also look at how clip art houses like PhotoDisc
handle this. They never provide hi-res previews and always have a
"watermark" on the previews. [Well, I guess PhotoDisc is now Getty Images,
but they still do something similar.]

But of course, if someone is bent on having your image, they probably will
be able to get it.

Bill